Monday, December 06, 2004

What a mess

Whoa (or rather, phew)! I finally managed to find a roof over my head without having to spend a night under the wide, open sky. No, nothing bad happened really and my house didn't collapse, but things got as lousy as they could. I mean, how often do you come across a situation where you think you've finally got a house to stay in but find that events have overtaken you and the rug is firmly pulled from under you? I can't speak for you, but this was certainly not the first time for me.

What had happened this time was: I had seen a house which I felt was good and had confirmed that I'd take it. But thanks to some gap in understanding between the owner of the house and the broker who showed it to me, the deal had to be called off at the last possible minute.To be precise, just before I was about to sign the lease contract. Now, this left me with no house to move into and no time to pick another one either. In fact, I had gone on a two-week leave only because I was sure that I could move into this one on the same day as my return. Fate, ever the playful friend (or is it fiend, I wonder sometimes), it seems, decided to give me a wry smile!

I found myself in the very unenviable situation of not having anywhere to spend the night. I didn't feel comfortable asking people for a nightcap though I knew them rather well. Had it been good ol' Madras, I know at least a dozen people who would have been willing to put me up for as long as I wanted and with whom I felt absolutely free.

My good man, the broker, however, went into overdrive mode, showed me another house that very evening. Though it wasn't as good as the one that slipped through my hands, I didn't have much of a choice, and certainly not much time, so I decided to compromise. And thus it came to be that I found myself in a rather old, but definitely livable, house that's just a stone's throw from office. Yes, the distance too was something that helped me make up my mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah well!
The really real simple life is when we live a life by the river/sea/lakeside on a bed of grass with only a campfire to warm us ;-) :D

The post was nice though...cos u wrote ur experience of being "stranded" for a day in an interesting manner...

Do u know there was an article about a family in a village near Nagpur who grow their own food, do all kinds of menial labour at their home and educate their 2 kids by themselves? The husband and wife are engineers who quit their cushy jobs to come and live in the village.

ammani said...

now that you've found some parking space, keep it secret from the creditcard fellows. what happened next on that story, btw? :D

Anonymous said...

Just keep in mind that somebody is always worse off then you. Right? Sure hope it all stays good for you and things get even better. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. What does that mean! LOL