Saturday, February 26, 2005

More unchart(er)ed waters

The previous post is a real-life account and is no laughing matter to me! If someone were to prepare my balance sheet, there would be a huge, unbalanced figure on the liability column. If you know of any parallels to this, please do let me know with details. I can understand a bank trying to minimise its losses but I never realised that they would go so far as to threaten me in different ways.

The most recent instance was when an officer of the bank asked me to send him an email about my lawyer's contact number. I did that, and also added a request in the following words: I also hereby request that agents of the bank, barring people like you, not call me henceforth regarding this.

The guy flew off the handle at the usage of the word "barring", with a threat that he would take me to court for just that word! I tried to explain to him what the word meant, but he wasn't willing to listen. He said he was a lawyer himself (where, I wonder...) and he didn't need me to explain the meaning of an English word!!

Strange world, this!

No comments: