Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Letter of Apology

Dear SP,

I owe you an apology: I had taken a decision which involved you without giving you, or myself for that matter, the consideration that was due. Would I that I could change my decision as easily as I had changed my mind! Now, however, things have reached a point where they are irreversible, and I know your word of honour is as unshakable as the strength of my decisions were fickle.

Apologies are merely words, sometimes backed my sincere emotions, that rarely have the power to undo things that were done in a moment of anger, thoughtlessness, grief. Then why do I write this? It is with the hope that you'll read these lines sometime in the future when the scars that I have caused you have either disappeared completely, or have at least ceased to give you any more pain.

You remarked more than once that I didn't have the guts to stand up for what I wanted. You also said that my "slow approach" would cost me something very valuable. You were right on both counts. I should have given them a chance to see how happy things would have been, and how easily they would have been able to cope with changes. I should have had more faith in myself and you. Now, when things have gone out of my hands, I realise the value of things that are no longer mine.

Sometimes, just sometimes, apologies can reopen doors, and people are given another chance to redeem themselves. I will remain hopeful that such a chance comes my way.

Love.

No comments: