Monday, December 24, 2007

How are plug-in hybrids a great idea?

I just don't get it! If a plug-in hybrid, which runs partly on conventional fuel, and partly on electricity, needs to plug in to a regular electrical socket to charge its battery (or whatever it is that powers the electric motor), then it defeats the purpose of being environmental (or ecological) friendliness. How, you ask? Elementary, my dear Watson!

To charge the battery, you have to use electric power that's most likely generated from thermo-electric power stations that use coals. So, you're actually increasing the consumption of electric current that was produced in an environmentally unfriendly way to start with. I mean, you wouldn't have consumed the electricity that you would be had you never had an electric car in the first place, so my guess is that the extra electricity that you're drawing from the grid will nullify any decrease in the fumes that your car would be emitting. Or so I conjecture.

Am I missing something vital here? Fill me in please.

No comments: