Saturday, January 05, 2008

Sounds from another era

Mind-blowing! That's the one word that readily came to mind when I listened (again) to this phenomenal song from the movie "Anjali". Back when I was a kid around the time this movie was released, I wasn't much into music appreciation though I must have had some vague idea about what good music was all about, helped along in no small measure by The Maestro. Otherwise, it's not possible that I would have been able to appreciate gems like "onna nenacchE pAttu padicchEn" and "ninnukOri varNam".

These songs are real masterpieces of orchestration; they show that music can be highly technical and pleasing, and that these two need not be mutually exclusive. If you can, get a good pair of earphones / headphones and listen to the above song. Unless you listen carefully enough, you'll fail to notice the chorus of males humming in an almost indiscernible, but unmistakable way. These voices add something to the song that I'm unable to express in words, but if you listen to it, you'll perhaps know why I am in tremendous awe of the man, the true jnAni of music - Maestro Ilayaraja.

No comments: