Sunday, August 09, 2009

One month

About a month now since I moved to the UK, and there's been a bit, just a bit, of progress. Regular tennis, job applications, cooking, cleaning up, and a bit of exploring the neighbourhood by wandering around on foot and on a bicycle - these summarise my activities over the last four weeks of my stay at my friend's place in the UK. Precious little by way of progress, but more on that in a moment.

Tennis has been the most regular feature so far. While the quality of my game hasn't gone up greatly, I'm able to say with pride that it hasn't been entirely bad either. I even managed to take a set from M, and came close to doing so another time. No mean achievement this, since I couldn't do this at all during my college days, which, I think, were my best playing days in terms of agility and passion for the game.

Added a recipe or two to my fledgling, ahem, repertoire, the notables being an entirely ingenious vegetable stew (mail me for the recipe if you're interested), Wok noodles and pasta. Okay, all right, I'm yet to practise the last two recipes yet, but so what? You haven't practised skydiving either, so we're even! Besides, I also learnt how the English clean up their houses which you haven't, so I'm actually one up on you.

More important among these, shall we say achievements, is the improvement in my fitness level. No, I still can't leap tall buildings in a single leap and run faster than a speeding bullet, but hey, I can jog non-stop for about ten minutes and, after stopping for only a few minutes, start running again. That's not something to be ashamed of after just a month.

The most important thing that I'm happy to share with you all is the fact that I'm a little further along in my job hunt than I was a month ago. So what if I have given only one interview that may lead somewhere, I have managed to attract the attention of various recruitment agents who call me now and then. I'm confident that I'll definitely be working somewhere by the time I post next. (Or I'll make sure that I don't post before then ;-))

No comments: