Monday, November 09, 2009

Karmic Koala

That's the name of the Operating System that I'm running. It's the latest version of the Ubuntu Linux distribution that has taken the pride of place on my laptop. It's a long story, but here it is in a nutshell: I got tired of paying for every bit of software on my machine when I could get the same, similar or better quality software for free.

And thus it is that I'm into my second day of using Linux as my primary operating system. I've attempted this in the past, but my resolve then wasn't up to much - I'd always switch back to Windows, because that's what I was most comfortable with. No, I'm not a Linux newbie, and have played with Linux right from the day when the Indian computer magazine PC Quest used to promote Linux as a toy for geeks. I've had my share of long nights out installing, configuring and troubleshooting various distros, but never have my attempts at replacing Windows been successful. So, how is it different this time?

Firstly, the quality and number of programs that are now available on Linux have increased tremendously since those days. In fact, over the last few years, there has been a tremendous amount of momentum behind this Debian-based Linux distribution called Ubuntu. I got sucked into the Ubuntu wave about four years ago (when Hoary Hedgehog and Breezy Badger were the latest versions), but it hasn't been mature enough for me until now. Secondly, my reasons for using a computer these days are primarily to surf the Net, check email, chat using Instant Messengers and occasionally, program. For the last mentioned last, I've started using Eclipse, after much reluctance (yeah, there's no love lost between me and Java). Lastly, I like alliterations :-)

So, how long will this latest attempt of mine last? Forever, I hope. At any rate, I'll keep you posted. In the meanwhile, here is a screenshot of my desktop:

P.S. Does this mean the end of Windows on my computer? No, Windows will always live forever. Er, I mean, I'll have it around, just in case I run into a situation where I don't have a replacement for / equivalent of a Windows program. But for the time being though, my Karmic endeavour begins.

No comments: